Hello 2016! I can’t quite get used to the idea that a new year has begun. Usually I feel the new year brings a fresh new start, but this year (understandably) my mind is just not ready yet.
Anyway, I finally got around to looking at reading challenges for 2016. And inspired by my fellow bloggers I also decided to write down a few resolutions!
- Get my TBR down to 250 books.
Ah, that eternal blasted TBR! In 2015, I purged many of my books during KonMari. I have since bought more books than I care to admit (but I swear they all spark joy!). My TBR is now at 287. In order to get it down to 250 I have to read plenty of books from my shelves, and not buy too many new ones… We’ll see what happens.
- Bring my blog back to life.
My poor neglected blog. During the last few months I posted no more than a monthly wrap-up, it seems. I want to write more reviews and other book-related posts.
- Be a social blogger once more.
I really miss hanging out with fellow bloggers. I have a ton of marked blog posts in Feedly that I still want to comment on, and I want to be active in challenges again. For those who don’t follow me on Twitter yet, I’m @brilliantreads. And if you’ve stumbled upon my blog, do leave a comment and I’ll come check out your blog! <3
I also have a few minor unofficial reading challenges I’m setting for myself:
- Read 3 graphic novels.
- Read at least 15 science fiction novels.
- Read more women than men.
- Read at least 3 books in Japanese.
- Read at least 1 book in German.
Of course there’s the Goodreads Reading Challenge. Like every year, my goal will be 52 books.
LGBTQIA 2016 Reading Challenge
As every year, I will be participating in another LGBTQIA challenge, this time hosted over at Pretty Deadly Reviews. I am going for level yellow, meaning I’ll try to read and review 13-20 LGBTQIA themed books.
Women’s Classic Literature Event
For the past few years it’s been my aim to read more women. I am also (still) participating in the Classics Club Challenge, so I simply couldn’t resist this particular challenge! I have quite a few classics written by women on my Classics Club Challenge TBR. These are some potential reads for 2016 (but who knows what’ll happen in reality):
- Alcott, Louisa May – Little Women
- Bronte, Charlotte – Jane Eyre
- Bronte, Anne – The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
- Bronte, Emily – Wuthering Heights
- Haasse, Hella S. – De Heren van de Thee (The Tea Lords)
- Hall, Radclyffe – The Well of Loneliness
- Jackson, Shirley – The Haunting of Hill House
- Le Guin, Ursula K. – The Left Hand of Darkness
- Mitchell, Margaret – Gone with the Wind
- Walker, Alice – The Color Purple
- Woolf, Virginia – Mrs. Dalloway
If you know of more challenges I might be interested in, let me know! 🙂